Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Taco Dorados

One of my husband's favorite childhood meals in called Taco dorados. For all you english speaking folk out there, this means fried tacos.  Now, lets not get it twisted, I am no mexican cook. I don't cook great authentic mexican food, after all I am just a simple girl from Maine. However, I cook a MEAN taco dorados. Follow this recipe and you too shall pass as an authentic mexican woman for a slight second of your life.

PS. Don't judge this until you try it. The ingredients all seem a bit strange for a taco. I promise you won't be disappointed.




Ingredients:
5 potatoes
2 medium sized red onion
10 limes
1 T crushed red pepper
1 t salt
2 cooked chicken breast (shredded)
1/2 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
20 corn tortillas (about)
2 cups vegetable oil
Siracha sauce (to liking)


For the marinated onions to top tacos
Slice both red onions as thin as you can get them. Place onions in bowl or large ziplock bag. Squeeze each lime onto onions until onions are swimming in lime juice. Add salt and crushed peppers. Let mixture marinate in refrigerator all dat long or about 8 hours until they become soft.

Tacos
Preheat oven to lowest oven temp (mine is 170) Cut potatoes into fourths and boil until soft. Once soft, mash up with milk. Once fully mashed, add in shredded chicken and mix well.




Heat oil in large skillet. Once hot, add corn tortilla and immediately fill with chicken mixture topped in 1 T cheese per taco.  Fold over each taco.


Let taco fry in oil for about 2-3 mins per side or until golden brown. Flip for another 2-3 min on other side. Once each side is golden brown, place taco on baking sheet in pre heated oven to keep warm.

(Please note: in the below picture I am in full work uniform, as I never seem to change out of it until bed time- and I am holding my hair up with a chip bag clamp. Judge me later please)


Repeat until all mixture is used. Now it's time to get serious. To serve taco: top with marinated onion mixture and Siracha sauce to your liking.





Enjoy this Velazquez family favorite recipe! Do you feel Mexican yet? I know always feel a little mexican when I make it.

What's your favorite childhood recipe? I LOVE getting new recipes!

2 comments:

  1. Sherry Beef...crockpot, stew meat, Lipton onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, cream of celery soup, a cup of cooking sherry, and enough water to keep meat covered while cooking. cook that sucker all day on low...serve over rice with a side of of something vegetable-y. I always requested this for my birthday meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. Now this is getting added to my recipe list! Yum, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete